Big Country Waste Management Commission
The Big Country Waste Management Commission provides services to approximately 10,600 people over 5,000,000 acres. Waste is collected at 28 waste transfer stations, including 22 rural stations and 6 stations located in towns and villages. Waste is transported from these transfer stations to the Youngstown Regional Landfill for disposal.
The Big Country Waste Management Commission is comprised of 9 member municipalities, each with a representative who sits on the Commission. Current representatives and contact information are:
|Town of Hanna||Gerald Campion||403-854-0479|
|Town of Oyen||Brad Odland||306-330-9176|
|Village of Cereal||Crystal Anderson||403-664-9208|
|Village of Consort||Calvin Ward||403-575-5538|
|Village of Empress||Chad VanDam||403-928-2537|
|Village of Veteran||Jerry Wipf||403-575-1378|
|Village of Youngstown||Robert Blagen||403-779-3859|
|M.D. of Acadia No. 34||Willie Vandeligt||403-664-1050|
|Special Area No. 2||James Madge||403-854-6356|
|Special Area No. 3||Kevin Wilson||403-326-2139|
|Special Area No. 4||Robert Worobo||403-577-2294|
The Big Country Waste Management Commission has an Executive elected annually from the representatives as well as the Operations Manager. The Executive is currently comprised of:
|Operations Manager||Greg Sheppard||403-854-8432|
Youngstown Regional Landfill
1. RATES EFFECTIVE AS OF JULY 1, 2012:
|Household Waste||No Charge|
|* Plus cat time and cost of lime|
|Asbestos||$30.00/tonne + 1 hr. minimum capping time|
|963-B Crawler Tractor||$112.00/hour|
|Clean Burnable Wood||No Charge
$25.00/hour minimum for litter pick-up
|Deep freezers, air conditioners, refrigerators, capacitors||$15.00 per unit Freon removal charge (at transfer stations as well)|
|D-7 Crawler Tractor||$200.00/hour|
|Tandem Truck with Live Bottom Trailer||$220.00/hour + $40 op = $260.00/hour|
*Any Demolition and Construction waste loads delivered to any waste transfer stations will be billed to the appropriate company.
2. GUIDELINES FOR USE
Materials NOT ACCEPTED:
- Hazardous Waste – chemicals, etc. as defined in the Alberta Environmental Protection and Enhancement Act (EPEA) and Waste Control Regulation. For more information, go to http://environment.alberta.ca/02643.html.
- Burning barrels or residues
- Containers of any sort containing ANY FLUID (including wastewater, sludge, sewage, etc.)
- Motor oil or undrained filters
Materials accepted BY APPOINTMENT ONLY:
- Bio-medical waste
Materials accepted at DESIGNATED DRY WASTE SITES ONLY:
- Pesticide containers (must be empty)
- Appliances with Freon (refrigerators, air conditioners, etc.)
- Additional Restrictions:
- Burn pit can receive uncontaminated wood only (asphalt shingles, creosoted or painted wood MUST go to the main pit)
- No smoking on site.
- All vehicles must be weighed in and out.
PLEASE OBSERVE ALL AREA SIGNAGE.
Waste Transfer Stations
- Do not place garbage at front of site.
- No hazardous waste - asbestos, bio-medical waste, chemicals, etc. as defined in the Act are strictly prohibited.
- No burning barrels or residues.
- No dead animals.
- No motor oil, undrained filters, or cooking oil.
- No pesticide containers - empty boxes only.
- No deep freezers, air conditioners or refrigerators or any white goods.
- No batteries.
- NO ASPHALT SHINGLES - must be taken to Youngstown Landfill Site.
- No loads of dirt, waste, gravel, concrete or rocks, sewage, sludge or grain dust.
- No jugs, containers or barrels with any substance in them.
- No smoking on site.
- No loads of wood and demolition materials, (concrete and shingles in particular).
- Four feet maximum length - small amounts only! No pallets or pieces of demolition larger than 4 feet by 2 feet.
- NO tires in site. ALL TIRES must be taken to Consort, Oyen, Youngstown or Hanna recycling areas.
- Silage plastic should be tied in a large knot.
- Wire fencing – wire that is rolled and tied and no larger than 2 feet in diameter and in quantities not exceeding four rolls may be accepted.
- Transfer stations are not designed to accept loads from large dump trucks or trailers.
- All loose, blowable material must be bagged before disposal at transfer station or landfill.
- Gates mus be CLOSED.
For more information contact the Landfill Manager at 403-779-3890.
4. DRY WASTE SITES
Dry Waste Sites are located at the Hanna, Oyen, Consort, Empress, Veteran, Monitor, Cessford, Wardlow and Youngstown waste transfer stations.
1. GENERAL INFORMATION
Recycling services are provided by Big Country Regional Recycling Society (BCRRS) operating out of the Hanna Waste Transfer Station. Materials can be dropped off at Consort, Oyen, Cereal, Hanna recycling centers.
These materials are currently accepted for recycling:
- Mixed Paper
- Paint *at the Hanna waste transfer station only
For more information, please contact Lowther Environmental Services at (403) 854-3308.
The Commission currently provides financial support to recycling operations through three measures:
- Diversion Credits
The Commission currently pays a $50 per tonne credit to the Recycling Society for every tonne of material diverted from disposal at the Youngstown Regional Landfill.
- Salary and staff retention monthly grant
The Commission currently pays $1661.26 per month to the Recycling Society to help ensure adequate staffing.
- Operational costs for Hanna Waste Transfer Station
The Commission currently pays for the majority of maintenance and operational costs for the Hanna Waste Transfer Station. The Recycling operations currently use approximately 1/2 of the facility.