The Special Areas is a rural municipality in Southeastern Alberta. Its boundaries outline over 5 million acres of land and are home to almost 5000 residents. The Special Areas is a unique type of municipality, administered by a Board of three members appointed by Lieutenant Governor in Council. In addition to the Board, an advisory council of 13 is elected in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act and represents the residents of the three Special Areas.
The Special Areas’ main strength is its people, their prairie disposition coupled with the strength and stability of the Special Areas Board, frames a solid foundation to build programs, initiatives and governance. Special Area No.2, Special Area No.3 and Special Area No.4 make up this interesting and vibrant region.
The Special Areas offers diverse programs and services. These services include:
- Maintenance of over 6000 kilometers of local roads
- Construction of local roads
- Operation and maintenance of Special Areas Recreational Parks
- Provision of Water Services
- Public Land Management
- Operation and maintenance of community pastures
- Agricultural development & conservation programming
- Emergency and protective services
- Rural stabilization and economic development programs
Special Areas Board Members:
Chairman: Jay J. Slemp
Special Area No. 2 Representative: Brent Horner
Special Area No. 3 Representative: Kyle Christianson